A number of early buildings can still be found within the fort of which St. Mary's Church is the most interesting one. It is the oldest Protestant Church in the East. Pay accounts office – the former Robert Clive's house stands just opposite the Church. Now Fort St. George houses Tamil Nadu Secretariat and the Legislative Assembly.
The building was constructed using Red sand stone with ornamental decorations on the walls. Stained glass windows and minarets also add beauty to this heritage structure. The pyramid shaped tomb present in the compound belongs to the only son of "Elihu Yale" who died during infancy.
Valluvar Kottam was established in 1976 as a commemoration of the famous saint-poet Thiruvalluvar. It is located at Nungambakkam on the corner of Kodambakkam High Road and Village Road. This memorial hall is shaped like a Chariot. It is 39 meter tall and withholds a life-size statue of the saint. Engraved on the granite pillars of the auditorium is the 1330 verse Kural which replicates ancient Tamil architecture.